What We Believe
At Sanctuary, all are welcome to attend, explore, and participate in taking steps of faith toward Christ. We recognize that doubts and questions about faith are a normal part of spiritual growth, and we do not claim to have all the answers. We do claim, however, that all the answers can be found in the person of Jesus.
Our Statement of Beliefs herein are not intended to be comprehensive of all aspects of life and faith, but are a summary of and guide to our convictions as a “Jesus church.” These statements and other beliefs of our church are always subject to the higher authority of Scripture.
As a community of followers who have acknowledged our need and accepted the grace of Jesus Christ:
1. We believe God exists as Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, and that He is a being of unimaginably wonderful power, goodness, and love.
(Psalm 118:1; Psalm 145:1-9; Matthew 28:19; 2 Corinthians 13:14)
2. We believe all human beings have been created by God in His own image, and are of great value and worth beyond our ability to measure.
(Genesis 1:27, 31; Psalm 8:3-6; John 3:16; Romans 5:8)
3. We believe this world has pain and suffering because human beings have sinned, and in consequence are separated from our Holy God and justly exposed to the wrath of God.
(Genesis 3:17; Romans 3:23; Colossians 1:21; Titus 3:3)
4. We believe God does not intend for sin and suffering to get the last word; God is at work to redeem and reconcile everything that He has made to Himself. (Isaiah 11:6-9; Colossians 1:21-23; Revelation 21:1-5)
5. We believe God has revealed the truth about Himself in the Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments, and that they solely constitute the divine rule of Christian faith and practice. (Matthew 4:4; 1 Thessalonians 2:13; 2 Timothy 3:16-17)
6. We believe that Jesus Christ, by His suffering and death, made atonement for all mankind that whosoever will may be saved. (Matthew 26:28; John 3:16, Romans 5:6-11, 18-19, 10:9-13; Colossians 2:13-15; Hebrews 10:10-14)
7. We believe God has expressed Himself uniquely in his Son, Jesus, who lived, taught, died, and rose again for our sakes. (John 14:6-7; Acts 2:32; 1 Corinthians 15:3-4)
8. We believe Jesus is our LORD, Savior and Friend, Master and Teacher, and now reigns forever with the Father and the Holy Spirit. (Ephesians 2:13; Colossians 1:15-20; Philippians 2:5-11; 1 Timothy 2:5-6)
9. We believe the Spirit of God dwells within each believer and that His presence and power counsels, guides, and directs the lives of those who follow Him. (John 14:26; Acts 1:8; Romans 8:26; Galatians 3:14; Ephesians 1:13-14)
10. We believe the Church, the Body of Christ, is the community through which God desires to reach the world with His message of love, healing, and reconciliation. (Matthew 18:18-20; John 1:12-13; Acts 1:8; Galatians 3:28; 1 Peter 2:9)
11. We believe in the immortality of the soul, in the resurrection of the body, in the judgment at the end of the age, in the eternal joy of those made righteous through Christ, and in the endless punishment of those who have rejected Him. (Mark 9:42-48; John 5:25-29; 2 Thessalonians 1:6-10; 2 Peter 3:8-13)